Nov 4, 2011

LBCC Recap 2011


Last weekend I attended the reception of Behind the Curtain at Soundbite Studios in LA as well as exhibited in artist alley at Long Beach Comic Con. Let's take a look at some pics.

As always, the Soundbite show was curated by the man, Joshua Keen Valencia. He was inspired to create a show on one canvas with many different artists. Turned out quite well. If you're STILL not aware of Josh, you will be. I guarantee it.
Sarah Amarin
Nick Bahula is dead.
Andrea Ueda (with presentation by Evan Spears)
A place to be.
The man himself: Joshua Keen Valencia.

Although I had work up at KGB in LA as well I didn't make it to that show. The closing on November 25 sounds promising :)

Besides, I DID enjoy a full weekend of nerdism at LONG BEACH COMIC CON! Evan Spears and I traversed the terrain yet again. Enjoy these tasty morsels below.

Some quality cosplaying:



Wonder Woman stopped by our table for a "Better Sketch" which Evan or I will do for a slightly higher fee than your standard "Sketch." This woman knows quality sketches. Evan turned this out......and I this:
Another Better Sketch:
I also built a formidable (if I don't say so myself) PVC shirt rack/sign holder (after some obligatory failed attempts). Here's a sign we made the night before in our hotel room:
Line to get in:
A raffle winner:
Patrons :)


Zombie vomit:This man, is by far, the busiest I've grown up watching and ever had to run to get a picture with. I once hopped over some chairs at a panel to get a sketch and photo from the master Jim Lee. THIS man? I stammered. HARD. I knew he would be at the con for a panel (which I didn't make) and as luck would have it, I saw him on the way to my booth. I thought, "Holy shit. That's Seth Green. Quick! Get a photo with him." He was being attentive to friends and I was standing there like an idiot with a nerd boner. We totally saw each other and as I stood there like an idiot and said nothing he walked away. Embarrassing. Awkward. Super fucking lame. Totally froze up. That was a bummer.

Anyway, after that I manned up to every other opportunity (big or small) I had that day and as luck would have it, guess who I saw dashing down our aisle in yet another hurry: Seth Green. Totally stopped that dude for a photo. Actually, it was more like, "Hey, dude. Sorry to bother yo-" and in a hushed, bearded and hatted voice (I can only assume so no one would recognize him and stop him for photos) Seth Green said, "It'scoolIt'scoolIt'scoolIsitonIsitonC'mereGetreadyAlrightHowisitDoublecheckDoublecheckIsitgoodIsitgood?"

And with that, he was gone. The whole time we never once stopped moving. Notice how both of our arms are out? He had to take control and shoot the photo himself. It felt like a scene from the Graduate. That's how often he takes these photos. That's how skilled he is at taking them.
One day I will be able to hold engaging conversation with interesting people I look up to. For now, I have a picture with Seth Green and it is good.
The next event I had tasked myself with was moderating a panel: standing in front of an audience and guiding a conversation between professionals I had invited to share their knowledge with said audience. I didn't fall on my face or cause a proverbial train wreck and aside from some technical difficulties (and a room change) everything went off without a hitch for a last-minute panel. My guests were super insightful and I had a great time learning more about them and their work and new perspectives on the online arena and comics. This photo is LITERALLY, the panel guests and nearly half the audience:
Special thanks to all the panel people from left to right: Sheika Lugtu, Jamie Gambell, Karl Altstaetter, Dale Wilson, and Evan Spears. Big ups to Forever Freshmen and Superhero Enterprises.

The end of the con provided one last Better Sketch:
Yes, she had a tattoo. No, I couldn't see it properly. I normally ask to take a photo of a patron (see above) but this time my patrons offered to take a photo with me (never happens)! I guess it's happened:
Sustenance was required after a long weekend of conning. What better fuel than a pie?

Not just any pie. Evan ordered some Anchovy and Salami combo whilst I opted for fruit: sausage and mandarin oranges. Yes, sausage is a fruit. We were quite proud of our choices (we take our victories as we can) as they had never been ordered before and we set a new standard for "crazy" at Sharky's in Long Beach. I urge you to order these pizzas. Beware: they are fucking great.

That was Long Beach. A good time to be sure. Dark Mouse came, saw, and conquered the hearts of those that read his story. He shall return. More than likely in some online incarnation. 140 continues in at least one more foreseeable issue and hopefully something more. In lieu of these, please accept pics from the days following the convention:

The Dia de los Muertos celebration in Riverside gets bigger every year. This year was by far the best in my opinion. Contact Division 9 Gallery for more information.
Breakfast has been killing me so good.
Tentative solo show approaching in January. Comics possibly on hold until that's up. More updates as events unfold. I'll see you at Comikaze.

2 comments:

  1. You have been one busy busy man! Awesome re-cap and now I want runny eggs on pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We came, we saw, we fucking destroyed Long Beach. And we'll do it again, too.

    WTF? Tentative SOLO SHOW?? Where?! When?! When you get specifics, LET ME THE FUCK KNOW! I will be there, I will not be square.

    ReplyDelete