May 16, 2011

2 Weeks & T4YG

Over the past month or so, I (or my work) have appeared at (read: busted my ass to get to) 5 different comic book and/or art events including but not limited to (okay, maybe) Long Beach Comic Expo, the Soundbite Studio anniversary show, Wizard World Comic Con Anaheim, Free Comic Book Day, and most recently the Art Crawl Experience of Anaheim.

I've only once attended a Free Comic Book Day event in my life and it left a bad taste in my mouth. However, to get my book onto the shelves of 4 Color Fantasies I gotta make myself available for a signing date AND as an exhibitor on Free Comic Book Day (among other stipulations). As soon as I arrived, I realized that store is doing it right.
Some people I met at this event drove UP from San Diego! That's Comic-Con! They drove two hours away from that to the Inland Empire. The operation 4Color has going there is impressive to say the least. Seriously? A LINE to get IN? Well done.

I had my infamous (probably not) digital 2nd issue of 140 available in print form as my contribution to the free goodness. People seemed to dig it. Sold some more other comics/prints, too.



It's always nice when people participate in the contests I administer via twitter. I was stoked to get this high five and release a print into the world.
And a second one shortly thereafter.
The homies came out to show love.

Even sold a print of an old, school project. In hindsight, I could have used it on future work. The patron seemed pleased though. Look at that smile.

All in all, a grand day. I'll definitely be working/shopping there again.

The next weekend held an Art Crawl, which is not much different than an Art Walk (except for the large amount of gloves and knee pads). Walked around early to get some pics of a couple set ups including the hot rods and some of the music doing a sound check.

My space was huge in relation to what I had brought. Next time, I'm bringing a mobile studio like my neighbors. The guys next to me deserved WAY more traffic than hit em. The main issue was that we were out of sight compared to the rest of the artists. Great amount of space but out of the way.

In any case, I had an awesome time. They were funny as hell throughout the event. These are the guys you want to barbecue and get drunk with. I took a couple snaps of Jack and Tiki...

...and threw em in my piece.
They made this with the help of some friends.
They're doing it right.

Lastly but definitely not leastly, I'd like to get more involved with the art community in my city so I'm throwing a party. Check out Treat IV Your Gland on June 17. I've curated this live-art event at Fontana's Jolly Jogurt. I'm super honored that people would be down to paint with me and we shall have ourselves a time. Come one, come all. Eat yogurt. Talk with artists. Be merry. Repost!

I also realize I'm setting up shop during the Green Lantern film release. Incidentally: everyone that shows up with a GL ticket stub will get a discounted print! Tell your friends.

Stay awesome, Internet. I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment